I love pure CSS solutions to complex design problems.
Every word of this is true, from my experience: http://bradfrost.com/blog/post/frontend-design/
This was an interesting little problem to solve: How do we make a column of text display on top of an angled background color? Better yet, how do we cut a corner out of the text to make it fit better?
The answer to the first problem was comparatively straightfoward: two nested blocks, one rotated 45 degrees down and the other rotated 45 degrees right back. The second problem was trickier, but can be solved if you’re using a browser that supports CSS Shapes.
Problem: Client is very upset they can’t access their website in China.
Solution: China’s Great Firewall blocks IP addresses, not domain names, so we just need to move the site to a different server.
Oh, look at that, I was going to do that anyway….
I’d never bothered to figure out how Google Tag Manager actually works, because… well, nobody ever asked me to. But today I found myself trying to figure out how to do basic link tracking, and sure enough, the GTM site/webapp was still utterly incomprehensible to me. It was definitely easier to use than before, but it still doesn’t make any sense if you’re a raw beginner. Which I was.
Normally, I hate trying to learn developer skills from videos, but the GTM documentation wasn’t helping me, either. So I finally caved and found Measureschool’s YouTube video, which was both short and subtitled, so I could actually enjoy it at work.
And now I’m not a raw beginner anymore, and can actually use GTM to do stuff besides basic session tracking. And hopefully, Google’s documentation won’t be completely opaque to me anymore.
(Another achievement unlocked this week: genuine object-oriented programming in PHP. Again, nobody actually needed it from me before. This one I could actually figure out from the documentation, though.)
SAM isn’t a site I created, but it is one I’ve maintained as part of my job for a year or so. When it finally got too difficult to maintain on its existing host (which I wasn’t allowed server access to), I started migrating it to ours. This week, we finally pulled the trigger on that, and it seems to have succeeded without any major hitches. Whew.